Have you got RAAC (reinforced autoclaved aerated concrete), present in your community building?

Back to News, Events and Blog

Have you got RAAC (reinforced autoclaved aerated concrete), present in your community building?

Here is some information about where in buildings the ‘concrete’ was used between the 1950’s and 1990’s  https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-66669239

Any halls that are concerned should

  • Distinguish RAAC from ordinary reinforced concrete, which is not subject to the same concern. Check original building plans and specs, which should provide information as to whether RAAC was used. The photos on the BBC website (link above) may help identify it.
  • Be aware that it is water penetration which gives rise to risk of sudden collapse. If the hall has been well maintained the risk is significantly reduced.
  • It appears that it is multi-storey buildings where there is weight on the panels that pose more risk, so use in any single-storey halls is possibly at lower risk.
  • However flat roofs could be a problem.
  • Contact your insurer to discuss.

Before spending money on a surveyor some basic research may help:

  • Some Halls may have the building drawings in their archive also Community First Oxfordshire could have drawings of your hall giving relevant detail.
  • Local Authorities will have given building regulations consent and should have details in their records.  These can be requested using the Freedom of Information Act if necessary and the Council will have 20 working days to produce them under section 10 of the Act.
  • If concerned, obtain an independent survey from a structural engineer or you could ask your local authority if their structural inspection arrangements could be made available to your hall either free of charge or at reduced cost. (Please be aware that if you have a pre-school building on your hall and it is privately owned, local authorities are unlikely to inspect it).
  • Any research undertaken should be entered as a note into the minute book.

If your hall is affected, please could you tell me about it along with the age and type of hall you have and what action you have been advised to take.

Tessa Hall

Community Buildings Advisor


[email protected]

Share this

Latest Articles

Research opportunity – voluntary sector support needs

By cfo-admin | 29 May' 24

We’re looking for a researcher to undertake research into the infrastructure needs of the VCSE sector in Oxfordshire. O ...

South Oxfordshire and Vale of White Horse – Rural England Prosperity Fund

By cfo-admin | 23 May' 24

South Oxfordshire and Vale of White Horse based organisations have until 1 July to apply for funding under the councils’ la ...

Summary of Oxfordshire County Council’s Current Campaigns

By cfo-admin |

This is a regular update about initiatives and campaigns that Oxfordshire County Council hope that you will be able to share ...